THE POVERTY ALLEVIATION ACTION TRUST: OUR CONSTITUTION
The charity’s name is: POVERTY ALLEVIATION ACTION TRUST (POVAAT)
2 The purposes of the charity are:-
POVAAT will strive towards the:
- prevention or relief of poverty;
- advancement of education;
- advancement of public health ;
- advancement of human rights;
- relief of those in need, by reason of youth, age, ill-health, disability, financial hardship or other disadvantage.
The charity shall be managed by a committee of trustees who are appointed at the Annual General Meeting (AGM) of the charity.
4 Carrying out the purposes
In order to carry out the charitable purposes, the trustees have the power to:
(1) raise funds, receive grants and donations
(2) apply funds to carry out the work of the charity
(3) co-operate with and support other charities with similar purposes
(4) do anything which is lawful and necessary to achieve the purposes
The charity shall have a membership. People who support the work of the charity, and are aged 18 or over, can apply to the trustees to become a member. Once accepted by the trustees, membership lasts for 3 years and may be renewed. The trustees will keep an up-to-date membership list. The trustees may remove a person’s membership if they believe it is in the best interests of the charity. The member has the right to be heard by the trustees before the decision is made and can be accompanied by a friend.
6 Annual General Meeting – AGM
(1) The AGM must be held every year, with 14 days’ notice given to all members telling them what is on the agenda. Minutes must be kept of the AGM.
(2) There must be at least 7 members present at the AGM.
(3) Every member has one vote.
(4) The trustees shall present the annual report and accounts.
(5) Any member may stand for election as a trustee.
(6) Members shall elect between 3 and 10 trustees to serve for the next year. They will retire at the next AGM but may stand for re-election.
7 Trustee meetings
(1) Trustees must hold at least 3 meetings each year. At their first meeting after the AGM they will elect a chair, treasurer and secretary. Trustees may act by majority decision.
(2) At least 3 trustees must be present at the meeting to be able to take decisions. Minutes shall be kept for every meeting.
(3) If trustees have a conflict of interest they must declare it and leave the meeting while this matter is being discussed or decided.
(4) During the year, the trustees may appoint up to 2 additional trustees. They will stand down at the next AGM.
(5) The trustees may make reasonable additional rules to help run the charity. These rules must not conflict with this constitution or the law.
8 Money and property
(1) Money and property must only be used for the charity’s purposes.
(2) Trustees must keep accounts. The most recent annual accounts can be seen by anybody on request.
(3) Trustees cannot receive any money or property from the charity, except to refund reasonable out of pocket expenses.
(4) Money must be held in the charity’s bank account. All cheques must be signed by 2 trustees.
9 General meetings
If the Trustees consider it is necessary to change the constitution, or wind up the charity, they must call a General Meeting so that the membership can make the decision. Trustees must also call a General Meeting if they receive a written request from the majority of members. All members must be given 14 days’ notice and told the reason for the meeting. All decisions require a two-thirds majority. Minutes must be kept.
(1) Winding up – any money or property remaining after payment of debts must be given to a charity with similar purposes to this one.
(2) Changes to the Constitution – can be made at AGMs or General Meetings. No change can be made that would make the organisation no longer a charity.
(3) General Meeting – called on written request from a majority of members.
(4) Trustees may also call a General Meeting to consult the membership
10 Setting up the charity
The Charity came into existence on January 1st, 2019 following the adoption of its constitution by the founding members:
- Dr Robert Peprah-Gyamfi
- Mr Justice Osei-Gyamfi
- Mr.Jonathan Kofi Peprah-Gyamfi
Through love, serve one another
Copyright Robert Peprah-Gyamfi, 2019. All rights reserved